+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copic markers on fabric

Default Copic markers on fabric

Yes Copic markers can be used on fabric!!! Even the liners!!!

Here is the example

I use three techniques to create these images.
    1. The top image of the dragon fly - For this image I used a diecut from my new file LV00090 Butterfly Bows and place it under the fabric which is a standard cotton. I then used the side of the brush end to sweep over the die cut. Since this was the first sample I was not too careful. I then filled in the white areas. I also used the blender brush tip to dab all over to give it a mottled look. I used the liner to go around the edges.

The black lines on all the images were created using the copic multiliner.

2. The butterfly in the lower right was created by traced the die cut still from LV00090 and then proceeded to color it in.

3. The flower - I blobbed on some blue and used the blender to mottle it. It looked like a flower so I made it one. I then filled in the stem and leaf. After I was done I decided to add some more blender to the bottom of the flower. You can see where it bled across the line.

All Three samples were washed with palmalive dish soap since I happened to be in the kitchen at the time. I scrubbed hard. Each of the fabrics bled a bit. I had been warned in class that the reds would bleed more and I have to say that was true. They might have even stained the surrounding fabric. not sure. I ironed them all dry and sewed on some scrap fabric I had in my fabric stash.

Results:
    Copic Markers can be used on fabrics with the following limitations:
    They will loose between 10 - 15% of their color when washed the first time. Reds do bleed more.
    Copic multiliner actually held up quite nicely

Further Research:
    1. What happens upon further washing?
    2. Will washing them in the washing machine with regular detergent make a difference?
    3. Will the reds stain the surrounding fabric?
    I really want to use these on some of the little onsies I bought for my soon to be GD. I am also putting together a scrap quilt for her. This is block 1.

btw the bright pink flowers were created by silk screening fabric paint through a screen made from a diecut cut from vinyl. That experiment is still in the early stages.. Or rather I cut up my samples and forgot which was which......

I hope this inspires you to try something a little different with your markers, stamps and diecuts.

Laury

Oh and please post your experiments so we can all learn together

Thumbs up

Well, Laury, all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!
    Blessings, Sue

'The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

I've only done the ribbon thing. I can see it works with fabric as well. Time will tell how it does with wash and wear. Great job Laury!

Ginger
    My Blog other blog FDS

4. Default

I actually have a tut from another website that they did indeed do a onsie. If you would like it let me know and I will send it to you. Great job experimenting though.
    Happy Crafting!
    Shelly
    see my Paperthreads files here
    see my blog here

Looks awesome Laury.
    “A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked”
    ~Bernard Meltzer

+ Reply to Thread