+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Glue for shadow boxes, what to use???

Default Mounting Glue for shadow boxes, what to use???

Helli,

I have been needing to "mount" some items in shadow box but they need to be glued with a heavy adhesive.

Does anyone know what I would use?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

P.S.: I have it planned to work on the KNK this week. After all, it has only been eight months since I got it!

Depending on what you plan to mount, there is a product called Gorilla Glue that my husband uses and you couldn't pry anything off with a jackhammer! In other words, it's good stuff!

There is also another product called U Glue. That's pretty heavy duty, too. I got some at CVS Pharmacy but I'm sure you could get it about anywhere.

Just out of curiosity, what are you planning to "mount"?
    Blessings, Sue

'The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Thanks. I have Gorilla Glue but thought it might be too thin and never had good luck with it. I live near a CVS so that one will be easy to get.

I am trying to mount my sons pacifier with little things from when he was a baby but mostly, ceramic/flour clay items that he made when he was in school. I attached some pictures.

As you can see one of the items is starting to break which is why I need to get these mounted.

I did buy an epoxy glue but it was actually too thin. I thought it would be thick.

Any other thoughts after looking at the pics would be appreciated.

Michelle
    Attached Images

4. Default

Can't remember the exact name of it, but I think it was E3000 glue, which is a good glue.

but, before buying anything, I think I would ask the "framing" center what they use or recommend for shadow boxes for glues.

Visit My Blog for games, prize, and new release information

Quote Originally Posted by Paperthreads View Post
    Can't remember the exact name of it, but I think it was E3000 glue, which is a good glue.

but, before buying anything, I think I would ask the "framing" center what they use or recommend for shadow boxes for glues.
    Thanks and I think I have seen something like that in a metal tube. I guess going to a framing center is the best idea. I think I will do that today.

Thanks!

Talking

WTG, Michelle!!!!!! You always have the best ideas! You're SO smart!

I'm really surprised you haven't had luck with the Gorilla Glue! My husband uses it all the time for his wood projects and it's just the best ever but maybe that's what it is for...wood. I'm sorry, I THOUGHT I was helping!
    Blessings, Sue

'The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

7. Default

To be honest, we just did a retirement party for a friend, and my husband asked me to put together a shadow box. The guy bought this $300 shadow box, in the shape of the security forces badge, and I was terrified of doing it....we ended up finding this retired military guy who does this as a hobby for people, and we paid him $40 to set everything in the shadow box! I was so afraid of using the wrong glues, too much glues, or not having things lined up....and my perfectionist mind was cringing at it! So it was a relief for just pay that guy to do it all for us!

Visit My Blog for games, prize, and new release information

Quote Originally Posted by barracudasue View Post
    WTG, Michelle!!!!!! You always have the best ideas! You're SO smart!

I'm really surprised you haven't had luck with the Gorilla Glue! My husband uses it all the time for his wood projects and it's just the best ever but maybe that's what it is for...wood. I'm sorry, I THOUGHT I was helping!

It could have been me using the Gorilla Glue on something I should not have used it on. I tend not to read the packages first that is why I wanted to know what to buy. I am sure the glue is great since I have heard very good things about it from you and others.

I get way too because there are just too many products to chose from. But you were very helpful and I do appreciate the assistance!

I went to Hobby Lobby and the framing lady showed me a GE Silicone adhesive they use when doing shadow boxes but they did not have any so she said the other choice would be 9001 by Surebonder. Below are links for both.

GE:
    http://brands.hardwarestore.com/272-...silicones.aspx

9001:
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/su...ible-adhesive/

I hope this works. Going to work on this tomorrow and I will post pictures of the finished product.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Paperthreads View Post
    To be honest, we just did a retirement party for a friend, and my husband asked me to put together a shadow box. The guy bought this $300 shadow box, in the shape of the security forces badge, and I was terrified of doing it....we ended up finding this retired military guy who does this as a hobby for people, and we paid him $40 to set everything in the shadow box! I was so afraid of using the wrong glues, too much glues, or not having things lined up....and my perfectionist mind was cringing at it! So it was a relief for just pay that guy to do it all for us!
    I would have been terrified myself. $40 was a great deal to have someone do it and I would have done the same!

Michelle

I'd love to see how it turned out and what glue you used. I too had no luck with gorilla glue. I want to do a shadow box with the knives that my FIL used in his work. He was a butcher. I've just been a little nervous about mounting knives and them not being real sturdy, even though they will be behind glass.

+ Reply to Thread